|going to the yurt to finish electrical light installation
||[Dec. 1st, 2005|02:45 am]
I'm heading up to the yurt to install electrical lights (our plan is to get onto electric lights and off propane before the end of the weekend) and patch the floor inside the front door sometime early Thursday, (was planning to go sooner but not feeling up to it and some complications getting things ready and waiting for materials).|
I don't know if you've heard the snow conditions... if you haven't, here's what I've heard
The web cam was down but Rick, found, Wednesday, that there was another wireless network interfering with ours so he changed the channel and it seems to be getting a good signal now. It looks like there has been a significant amount of snow but drifting so levels are misleading, deep and not-so. The forecasts have been for a couple feet, at least, but how our trails are affected is still a mystery. The roads were supposed to be plowed to the upper snopark (where the outhouse is located) in the North District and to the middle snopark in the South District. I heard from Jennifer Lyne, who was at Snow Bowl last weekend with Cathe Lynn to do some cleanup work there. She said that they left both Arctic Cats near the Alpina shed and marked them with the marker poles so they can be found. She said that one of the cats had been running rough but that Cathe Lynn (who's quite mechanically inclined) said that it seemed to run more smoothly later on. Jennifer said that she had to replace a belt on the other cat so that now, it has no spare. She also said that there is no tarp or shovel in one of the machines. She didn't relate the fuel levels or if/where there is more fuel. She gave me a good description of the lock/lockbox/kill switch system so I shouldn't have a problem getting it started.
I don't know the location/status of the LMC/Pisten Bully. If there is a machine in the South District, I'll do some grooming with it... I'll leave it up to Bob B. and will have to find out from him where the keys are and fuel/machine condition. I have lots of experience with both machines but haven't used the Gitzu grooming attachment on the Pisten Bully or Alpina yet so don't want to attempt grooming by experimentation with that attachment. I could groom with the Alpina or snowmobile using the Yellowstone roller groomer sized for those machines.
At any rate, I have to delay till Thursday early to go because I can't find any place here in Kitsap to buy a sno-park permit and will have to wait till the General Store in Ashford opens so I can get one. I'll be driving our 4WD Ford Explorer and have chains for all wheels so should be able to get to the SnoPark (hopefully-if the road got plowed) I'll pick up a DNR radio (monitoring common) and a couple batteries and FRS/GMRS radio (scan channels 7 no privacy & 18 no privacy--18 has a stronger signal but most folks use 7).
I'll try to contact Bob before I get onto the trails so he knows my wherebouts... He and Bob T. are planning to go to the yurt on Friday to work on the lighting and Tony plans to be on the system also this weekend. I'll come down to Ski Patrol training to make ski patroller photos for badges on Saturday unless Bob B. wants to do it instead. I'll check my email in Ashford when I pick up the radios so if you get this and have anything to tell before I get on the trail, I should get your message. Otherwise you'll have to relay through Bob B.
If the snow seems to be too much a challenge I'll consider discretion to be the better part of valor and won't attempt to fight it but will instead wait in the valley till there is someone to go along with me. (I'll be taking tools/supplies and a piece of plywood so will have to use either a snomobile with sled, Alpina, or LMC to go)
I'll try to relay the conditions to the valley and you when I can.